Saturday, March 04, 2006

Talk about a revolution

This is my situation when it comes to music

I don't own a car...I don't even have a driverslicence (shocking I know, but that's the modern commuter in an European city for you), so my radio listening is limited to my awakening or not to the clock radio (If I wake up to it I hear it, if I don't....well..).

I'm a student so a radio in the office is something that lies ahead (perhaps the car and the licence lies a head too).

I do have a rather good widescreen TV, the problem is that I don't have cable and can only tune three channels in, none of them are very specialized in music.

I don't go clubbing much anymore, so I can't get any music influences from that direction either.

Looking at my CD-collection I am horrified over the fact that I don't seem to have a single album released in the last 2-3 years. I have bought new albums, but they're albums I always wanted to have in my grunge rock collection.

The core problem is that I only listen to the same old, same old.

I'm, because of this reason, very much depended on friends who have these advantages over me. I need them to recommend music to me. Not any more however, because I have found the solution to my old, old music collection

One day (read: yesterday) a fantastic thing landed on my lap(top)(which I don't have, I use a stationary). It was the Music Genome Project and its site/program Pandora. With this application you make your own radio channels as easy as tuning your own analog radio in that office that lies somewhere in the future. All you have to do is type in an artist, band or a song you like and the program finds other bands and songs which sound like the band/artist you typed. The result is a radio channel which runs your favorite type of music 24/7.

An hour ago I typed: Bob Marley, so I'm currently listening to some good and old ska and reggae I otherwise wouldn't have found or listen to. You also get to listen to stuff you totaly had forgotten about. The nostalgic trip, however, is always the most enjoyful.... hehe.... Which band do you think was the first one I entered?..... Alice in Chains (a classic grunge band).

I'm happy

2 Comments:

Blogger Satchmo said...

Pandora is indeed a great program. The station I made is really good at the moment - I've been getting a ton of stuff I really like, and it's even picked up on artists I like who I didn't input directly.

They don't have as much African music as I would like (I would recommend Salif Keita if you haven't heard his stuff), but hopefully that will be rectified eventually.

3/07/2006 04:09:00 AM  
Blogger Niklas said...

Thanks for the comment...

And thanks for the tip. Will look him up.

3/07/2006 04:36:00 PM  

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home