Monday, March 13, 2006

mirror, mirror on the wall

Where in the bible or the Koran does it say that people have the right to do anything in the name of God? I have not read the bible Nor the Koran (Not the whole of it, and not in a while). But it seems unlikely that God would have said: Even though it's a deadly sin to kill, you can do it in my name as much as you want. You can also torture, molest and pillage in my name. There is a passage in this article, written by Slavoj Zizek that has reached my eyes through the grace of..... Sesquapedalien. heh.

"Fundamentalists do what they perceive as good deeds in order to fulfill God's will and to earn salvation; atheists do them simply because it is the right thing to do. Is this also not our most elementary experience of morality? When I do a good deed, I do so not with an eye toward gaining God's favor; I do it because if I did not, I could not look at myself in the mirror. A moral deed is by definition its own reward. David Hume, a believer, made this point in a very poignant way, when he wrote that the only way to show true respect for God is to act morally while ignoring God's existence."

Something that has always bothered me when it comes to these danish cartoons is the muslim reaction to it. I have always understood how they can offend muslims in Denmark or witrhin the EU. But I have not been able to understand why this affair have blown in to the proportion is has. Until yesterday.

Apperantly it's forbidden for ANYONE to depict the prophet Mohammad. It doesn not matter wether you're muslim or not, you are forbidden. I can't understand this. It's like a judge in soccer running onto the ice of a hockey match and showing the red card. It doesn't make sense. The rules of one game, culture or religion should not automatically apply to any other culture, or religion.

Why should a religious person care at all about anyone else doing sinful things? It's not their problem, all they have to care about is be able to look themselves in the mirror in the evening...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You see, my problem is not that religious people feel offended if their God or Prophet is disrespected. I actually think it's quite natural for people to feel hurt when something beloved to them is insulted. Just as it would anger a father whose child is called retarted in his face when that child is mentally disabled... it hurts. No one has a real right to disrespect anyone...

But the world is not perfect. Of course you're going to be hurt and disrespected. What bothers me is why these religions forget about the concept of ~forgiveness.~ Why is so hard to forgive? All religions crave for peace. Yet, they cannot forgive, which is the key to peace. This is the countermand that irritates me.

I end up blaming ego...

3/14/2006 05:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... another good article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/11/international/middleeast/11sultan.html?_r=1&incamp=article_popular&oref=slogin

I think you'll dig it...

3/14/2006 08:08:00 AM  
Blogger Niklas said...

But Islam isn't a retarded, nor a mentally disabled religion. Hmm it's actually a pretty good metaphore.

So you mean that the reason muslims got angry is that a danish newspaper called Islam and the prophet retarded (terrorist) when Islam is infected with a terrorist bug?

3/14/2006 12:42:00 PM  

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home