Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Digitus impudicus...

A gesture I actually would like to be able to use more often is “the finger”. I would love to be in a situation where I could "flip the bird" once more. I can't recollect when I last used it; I mean really used it. I imagine I use it quite often at football games, but the judge who often is the intended target hasn't as of yet, and for obvious reasons, seen me giving it. I also, even more pathetically, use it when I feel aggravated in front of the TV.

I would however much more like to give it up front to a person. I think I would like that very much, to recapture the times when we as kids walked around giving it to all and everybody. I imagine it would feel liberating, in an obnoxious and rebellious kind of way. I guess, actually, that what it really comes down to is that you, from time to time, feel the want to be a kid again.

I started thinking about "the finger" when I saw one of the top politicians in Sweden, Lars Ohly, giving it to a political adversary on a morning show a few days ago. Watch the clip here. Even though I’m no big fan of Lars Ohly (he’s a damn communist what ever he nowadays says) I felt that it was quite funny of him, in a very immature and stupid way, to give the finger on live TV.

The thing about giving the finger is that it’s somewhere between a minor and major insult. It’s somewhere between getting neglected and receiving a fist to the jaw. It’s severe, but not severe enough to cause you harm. And it can be done silently.
I do it like the kid almost exclusively at football games; just as the little kid a two posts ago.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hej där! Jag håller med, fingret är underskattat! Hur mår du annars? Är du tillbaka på Södertörn eller var pluggar du nu? Och hur går det med uppsatsen...? /Emma 

Posted by Emma

9/21/2006 01:22:00 AM  
Blogger Niklas said...

Jag jobbar på Södertörn faktiskt. Sitter i Receptionen. Trist kanske, men det är en heltidslön varje månad så det är ju bra.

9/21/2006 01:36:00 PM  
Blogger Kerstin said...

Åh, ska se till att titta förbi!

9/25/2006 01:14:00 AM  

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home